These burgers are so good they even passed the test of my caveman meat eating husband! The flax, walnuts and lentil combination gives them a more “meatier” consistency. Experiment with other grains and herbs and see how delicious meat free burgers can be!
- 3/4 cup soaked walnuts* (at least 2 hours)
- 3/4 cup milled flaxseed
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 grated medium red onion
- handful of coriander – chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (more if you like it hot!)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked green lentils**
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- * soak the walnuts to activate them making them more nutritious and removing the phytic acid (enzyme inhibitors)
- ** soak the lentils overnight so they start to spout for maximum nutrition, cook in vegetable stock for extra flavour
In your high speed blender combine walnuts, flaxseed, garlic, onion, coriander, lemon, all the spices plus the salt and pepper, grind the mixture at medium speed until the walnuts are broken down and all the ingredients are well mixed. You may need to stop a few times to scrap down the blender and stir.
In a large bowl whisk up the egg then add the flaxseed mixture and lentils, mix everything together until well combined and a corse mixture has formed.
Spoon out the mixture (aim for a small fist) roll into balls then flatten into patties.
Heat a little oil in a non stick frying pan at medium heat, add the patties and gently cook turning once for approx. 10 minutes or until slightly crispy and browned.
Serve with sliced avocado, tomato and sprouts.